Sunday, March 8, 2009

More Decisions

Kitchen Sink
I've been struggling over what to get for a kitchen sink. You wouldn't think this would be such a difficult decision, but I have found this to be the hardest thus far. Currently, I have a Kohler enamel over cast iron sink with two bowls, one large and keep and the other small and shallow. This sink has served me well over the past 15 years. I had a similar sink in our previous home, which is why I decided on this when we built. My current sink is almond color and since we are going with stainless steel appliances, I wanted to carry that through in the sink. I also had decided to switch to a single bowl. For Christmas I received new cookware and find that this does not fit so well in the current size sink. Thus the decision to go with a single larger bowl. Initially I was looking at apron front sinks, but after pricing these, I've convinced myself that an undermounted model makes more sense...less apt to drip on the base cabinet. Right?

So, the search for undermounted sinks began. I like the looks of the pro style sinks with straight sides and square corners, but was reminded that cleaning the corners might be an issue over time. I have narrowed it down between a Kindred and a Blanco sink. Including the grate, one is $200 more than the other, but is also 2" wider and 1" deeper. Who would think settling on a kitchen sink would cause such anguish. Stay tuned.

Kitchen Faucet
The faucet is another matter. I've been leaning toward Kohler products, with the Vinnata in brushed nickel as the leading contender. Yesterday we went to a local plumbing showroom and were shown a Hansgrohe model that we both liked. It's a Swing higharc single-hole with 2-spray pull-out. I think this is the one.

















Bathroom Faucet
While we were at the showroom, we also looked at bathroom faucets. Since we will be going with a vessel sink, I'm finding that there are not so many options with faucets due to the height required. Again, I was leaning toward Kohler products and had found that I liked the Fairfax. The salesperson showed us the Santec Caprie model (which I was not familiar with), and this is now the leading contender.























Bathroom Toilet
Didn't think I would ever get excited about a toilet...but I've found one that will be good for the environment and help my water bill. Toto has dual flush toilets. I happened to see one installed on an Ask This Old House episode, but didn't realize what the model was until I happened upon it in the plumbing showroom we visited.

No comments:

Post a Comment